Sunday, January 1, 2012

Stay Pure In A Polluted World

9 How can a young person stay pure?
      By obeying your word.
 10 I have tried hard to find you—
      don’t let me wander from your commands.
 11 I have hidden your word in my heart,
      that I might not sin against you.
 12 I praise you, O Lord;
      teach me your decrees.
-Psalm 119:9-12 (NLT)


Our world is full of sin, do you agree with that statement? What God had intended to be wonderful and pure (I'm talking about His Creation in the Garden), sin has turned wicked and dirty. Is there any way that someone can live the righteous life God expects in our world today? I believe there is, and the answer is found in Psalm 119:9-12.


Verse 9 reads, "How can a young person stay pure? By obeying your word." How can someone stay pure in an evil, wicked society like ours? What does pure mean? Among the 14 definitions I found, pure means to be "free of dirt, defilement and pollution."* Our society tries to feed us the dirt, defilement and pollution of sin. To be pure means that we are free of the things of this world. How can we be pure from it? Verse 9 says, "By obeying your word." We can be unstained by the pollution of sin by obeying the Word of God. We've been looking at Psalm 119 for a few days now, and a theme thus far has been on obeying the Word of God. We've seen in verses 1-8 that those who obey His Word are: people of integrity, who do not compromise evil, who walks in the path God has given them, they are not ashamed, the live a life of thankfulness, and are committed to obeying His Word. Does this picture of people who are staying pure in a sin stained world look like you? 


We see in verse 11, "I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you." If you truly want to obey the Word of God, then it must get into you. The writer of this Psalm says that he has "hidden your word in my heart," As you study Scripture, you'll start memorizing it. As you become tempted by the dirt of this world, you'll recall the Word. That is part of the work of the Holy Spirit. Jesus said "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. (John 14:26 (KJV)). The Comforter, the Holy Spirit will remind you of the Scriptures. Are you hiding the Word in your heart. There is a reason to do that. "That I might not sin against you." When the world tries to put its pollution on you, you can recall the Word of God, and cast off the world and its defilement. Do you want to live the pure, holy life that God expects? Think About It. 
*source: www.thefreedicitonary.com/pure

No comments:

Post a Comment