Friday, October 18, 2013

Doomsday Prepper

Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me:
Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the Lord? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain.
-Proverbs 30:8-9 (King James Version) 

I was reading through Proverbs 30 the other night during my devotions, and so much of it spoke directly about us.

Verses 8-9 speak about being content. It seems our society today is striving for the biggest house, the biggest car (unless you care about the environment  then you are striving for the smallest hybrid), the biggest paycheck. There is a TV show on the National Geographic channel called Doomsday Preppers. These are people who are planning on protecting themselves and their families during times of national trouble. I've watched the show on a couple of occasions, and these people spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on stockpiling food, combat training and security. Proverbs 30:8-9 paints us a different picture.

"Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me: Let I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the Lord? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain." The writer of this Proverb is teaching us to be content with what God has provided. He asks God to give him neither riches or poverty. Too much (riches) will cause Him to deny God by claiming his riches were brought about by his work. Too little (poverty) will cause him to steal to provide, thus denying God. Contentment was something Paul taught us about as well. Paul writes, in Philippians 4:11-12, "Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.

Are you striving for more and more? Put your trust and God, He will meet your needs. Think About It.

No comments:

Post a Comment