Friday, October 11, 2013

Where Were You?

Who is this that questions my wisdom
 with such ignorant words?
 Brace yourself like a man,
    because I have some questions for you,
    and you must answer them.
 “Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth?
    Tell me, if you know so much.
 Who determined its dimensions
    and stretched out the surveying line?
 What supports its foundations,
    and who laid its cornerstone
-Job 38:2-6 (NLT)

In today's reading, is God chastening Job for questioning Him? I don't think so. Instead, I believe God is giving Job a stark reminder. It's a reminder you and I must heed as well.

When things don't go as we expect in our lives, or when we want to go one way, and God wants us to go another, we shake our fist at God and tell Him that we know better than He how to run our lives. We feel we know best. We feel that we know, better than God, what we need. When, in reality, we don't know anything. 

In chapters 38-42 of Job, we see God asking Job some pretty serious questions. I want us to focus on just a couple in verses 4-5. "'Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell me, if you know so much. Who determined its dimensions and stretched out the surveying line? What supports its foundations and who laid its cornerstone?" God is asking Job who designed, measure and built the earth. Certainly not Job. Certainly not you or I. Since God laid the foundation for the everything, and since He laid out the intricate little systems that work together for Him, can't we trust Him with the small details of our lives? What part of your life are you rejecting the control of God in? Think About It.

No comments:

Post a Comment